Monday, July 1, 2013

Goodbye Central California

According to the guidebooks, I am just about done with central California (15 more miles). Along the way, I passed the 1000 mile mark. I also passed the 1007 mile mark (some wise guy decided that it was funny to make a 1007 marker -- I agreed). I also passed the 1041 mile mark. But it was oddly at mile 1025. So I fixed it. Back to binary, it was mile 1000000001 which is much more interesting. Not only is it a palindrome (reads the same right to left), but it is also an ambigram (reads the same upside down). Only afterwards did we realize that we probably disappointed boy scout troup number 1041 if they decide to come back the way they came. Want to know what's better than getting cookies in the mail? Getting a t-shirt that says "Roger Dodger" on the back and is signed by your college roommates. Thank you so much, Darren, Will, and Dan. About a week and a half ago, I met up again with Tower, a hiker that I've seen on and off for about 800 miles. He told me about his kid's trail magic (hamburgers and soda) that I missed (by ONE HOUR!) He told me about his upcoming kid's trail magic in 3 days. So I didn't let him out of my sight. When we got to where the trail magic was supposed to be, his son brought a couple of cookies and some soda. I didn't show my disappointment, but I was hoping for some more. And more did I ever get. His son asked if I wanted a ride down to the local restaurant (with a promise of a ride back up to the trail). After Tower and I ate our fill, his son asked if I wanted the sandwich he got for his dad, who didn't need it now that he ate lunch and was going home to a barbecue in a couple of hours. So I ate that, too. But when I was done, he asked if I wanted to come home with them, where he plied me with steak, hot dogs, salads, and blueberry muffins for dessert. After a night of not sleeping much (the bed was too comfortable), he fed me more: bacon, blueberry pancakes, strawberries, an egg scramble. He then gave me a book he wrote about his time as the world's 13th best freestyle skier before his brother took us back to the trail where we tried to make a dent burning off the calories we just ate. A couple of days later we got caught in a storm. We fought very high winds on a ridgetop. I then proceded to get lost. After I descended for an hour, I figured out that I wasn't on the PCT. I knew where I went wrong, but couldn't brave the weather and the hill. So I set up camp, and crawled into my sleeping bag for about 20 hours. When I couldn't take it anymore, I took all my soggy gear up the hill and was back on my way. I'm all dry now. I'm well fed. And I'm ready to get back on the trail tomorrow. If you'd like to get rid of any cookies (or t-shirts), at July 12th, I'll be at Roger Wolff c/o General Delivery Dunsmuir, CA 96025 -Roger Dodger

No comments:

Post a Comment