Monday, July 1, 2013

Hello from Warner Springs

First week, first 100 miles, first town stop. I'm in Warner Springs, CA, and everything is going very well. I started off the trip by getting picked up by a couple of "trail angels." They had previously hiked the PCT, and now open their San Diego home to aspiring PCTers. About 20 people stayed with them (and me), as well as a couple of other trail angels that flew down from Portland, OR just to help them out. After a home-cooked dinner (and then breakfast), they drove me down to the Mexican border. Twenty miles later, I arrived at ADZPCTKO (Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick-Off) where I met (or got reacquainted with) 700 fellow past/present/future PCTers, trail angels, and hangers on, all who wanted to wish us bon voyage. Even though it's just walking, eating, and sleeping, so many things happen every day. Just one highlight, before I run across the community center to where they are grilling hamburgers....I had a couple of very interesting "conversations" with a Japanese hiker who hardly speaks any English. We communicated in one or two word sentences, hand gestures, and a couple of his electronic translation devices. Hope all is well with you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment